Immigration attorney - Citizenship
The immigration attorney Xavier Mendez, is glad to assist you the citizenship process.
Deciding if you want to become a citizen is one of the most important decisions that an immigrant can make.
As a citizen, you will enjoy all the rights and privileges that citizenship provides, such as:
- Receive State and Federal assistance.
- Vote in the federal elections.
- Travel using a United States passport.
- Apply for political positions that require the candidate to be a citizen.
- Participate as a jury member in a justice court.
- Be eligible for many federal and state level security jobs.
- Obtain citizenship for your under-age children who were born in foreign country.
- Process permanent residency for more family members and it is more expedited process.
The most common way of becoming a citizen is through a process called “Naturalization”, also known as processing citizenship.
You may qualify for Naturalization if:
- You have been a permanent resident for at least 5 years.
- You have been a resident for 3 years and you obtained your residency through you spouse who is a citizen
- Another way to become a citizen is through a process called “acquired citizenship” and “derived citizenship”.
- A person born outside the United States could “acquire” citizenship if one or both parents are citizens.
- A child can “derive” citizenship if they are admitted into the United States as a resident, if one or both parents are citizens.
If you would like to know if you qualify to become a citizen by means of one of these processes, we invite you to complete the case evaluation questionnaire on our page.
To complete the questionnaire, click on “Contact Us” which appears at the bottom of this page. Once the you have completed the questionnaire our office staff will contact you.
The immigration attorney Javier A. Mendez, is always glad to to help to assist you!